Happy Fri-Yay! Today was the last day of school for my second grader woohooo! Although work, sports and summer camps will still dominate our schedule – it’s nice to switch up the routine sometimes right? Take for example, this Italian Chicken Caprese Sandwich. Now you might be wondering – what in the world is an Italian Chicken Caprese Sandwich? Imagine taking the best parts of an Italian sub and combining them with a Caprese Salad – Boom! Mind blown right? Now imagine that you can make the whole sandwich on your grill in give or take 30 minutes. Feel free to sip on lemonade or a cold glass of wine, prop your feet up because tonight dinner is handled and it’s fast, easy and suuuuuuuper tasty.
Comprised of salami, juicy Italian marinated chicken, melted mozzarella, balsamic tomatoes, and garlicky pesto sandwiched between two slices of thick, crusty toasted bread. You’ve just met your new go to summer dinner – I promise. Perfect for those we just got home from the pool and need dinner in a hurry nights, or those Saturday it’s the weekend and I’m taking a break from cooking but want something delicious nights. Basically, it’s perfection in sandwich form.
I hope you enjoy this Italian Chicken Caprese Sandwich as much as we do.
Ingredients: Serves 4
4 chicken breasts, pounded thin to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches
1/3 pound of salami (sliced from your deli counter)
1 small log of mozzerella
1 container of store bough pesto
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1 loaf of thick sliced bread (I bought a loaf from the bakery and sliced it myself, but I also think Texas Toast would work well)
Olive oil for brushing on bread
- Place pounded chicken and Italian salad dressing in a bowl and let it marinate while you prep the other ingredients.
- Slice tomatoes and place in a separate bowl with balsamic vinegar. Try to arrange the tomatoes in a single layer if possible. Let the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar marinate.
- Thinly slice the mozzarella and then slice the bread into thick pieces.
- Grill the chicken breasts for about 8 minutes per side at 375 degrees or until cooked through. When the chicken is cooked, set to the side. On a large tray, bring out to your grill the bread, olive oil, tomatoes, mozzarella, and pesto.
- Brush 4 slices of bread with olive oil on one side and put the oil side down on the grill. Once toasted, set these pieces to the side – they will be your top pieces for your sandwich. Take the other 4 slices of bread and brush olive oil on one side and put the oil side down. On top of these slices place salami, chicken, mozzarella and tomatoes (remove from balsamic vinegar first). Spread the pesto on your top pieces of bread and place on top of the sandwiches. Turn your grill off and let the sandwiches sit on the grill so the remaining heat can melt the cheese.
Serve with extra pesto and balsamic on the side. Enjoy!