Looking for an easy way to switch up your weekly meal plan? This pineapple fried rice with shrimp is easy to prepare, looks like a million bucks and brings a touch of the tropics into your life with the addition of the juicy and sweet pineapple. Best of all? It comes together in about 30 minutes – because who has hours to spend in the kitchen?! Not me! I’m off to swim team and t-ball practices these days.
This dish is made simpler by taking a little help from your grocery store. I used precut pineapple from the produce section and cut it up into bite size pieces. Although I used fresh shrimp – it makes the prep time much faster if you buy cleaned,frozen shrimp from your grocery store which still taste delicious!
We’re entering into the last week of school for my second grader and this dish will definitely be in our weeknight, quick and easy dinner rotation.
Ingredients: Serves 4 to 6
1 cup uncooked rice
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 pound shrimp
1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (this can be found in the frozen vegetable isle of your grocery store)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1. Cook rice according to package instructions
2. While the rice is cooking prep your shrimp – peal and clean if using fresh, defrost if using frozen by running under cold water and then set aside
3. Cut your pineapple into bite size pieces then heat a skillet with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium heat. Once the pan is hot add the pineapple and cook stirring halfway through for about 2 minutes
4. Remove the pineapple from the pan and set aside for later. Next using the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil along with the ginger and garlic. Cook for a few seconds and then add the frozen peas and carrots and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until heated through. Remove from pan and set aside with the pineapple.
5. Next, heat the pan to medium high heat, adding 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and once hot, add the shrimp and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes on each side depending on the size of your shrimp. Remove from pan once shrimp are “pink” and set aside.
6. Return the heat to medium and using the same pan add your eggs and scramble. Next add the rice to the pan along with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook for 2 minutes. Lastly, return the shrimp, peas and carrots and pineapple to the pan and stir to combine.
Top with chopped cilantro or optional cilantro sauce (see recipe below) or eat it straight away! Enjoy!
Add 1/2 cup cilantro to a blender along with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup water, the juice of one lime, 1/4 cup pineapple (I had leftover from the rice), and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and drizzle over rice.